The Georoute provides an insight into mining north of Hohburg along disused and active quarries
The start and finish of the mining trail is the Geoportal Museum Steinarbeiterhaus Hohburg, which acts as an information center for the Geopark Porphyry Land. It tells the story of raw material mining around the town of Hohburg and provides a wealth of information about the individual waypoints on the mining trail before the tour begins.
After visiting the stone workers' house, the route makes its first stop at the Löbenberg quarry. The Hohburg quartz porphyry was mined here until 1958. The next waypoint is the Zinkenberg quarry, where the stone is still mined today. Information boards along the route and the descriptions of the waypoints provide information about the formation of the quartz porphyry rock and the history of the quarries.